Royalty software applications listed on this page are designed to handle the requirements of music labels and/or music publishers. Music publishers handle licensing and mechanical royalties for song writers. Music labels are focused on performing artist royalties and paying mechanical royalties to music publishers when products (CDs, DVDs, etc.) are sold.
What are Music Royalties?
There are two types of music royalties – songwriter royalties (mechanical royalties) and performance royalties. When a recorded song is played publicly royalties are paid to the songwriter and the performer of the song. Mechanical and performance royalties are paid when a music recording is sold (CD, DVD, vinyl record) or streamed. When a recorded song is used in a advertisement, movie, television show, or other media a master recording royalty is paid to the record label. Print royalties are paid to the songwriter when sheet music is sold.
|Public Performance (Show, Radio, Elevator music)||Yes||Yes|
|Product Sale (CD,DVD, Digital, Streaming)||Yes||Yes|
|Product Placement (Advertisement, Film, TV Show)||Yes||Yes|
For more information consult the links below:
Royalty Software Applications
The software applications below have a strong focus on music royalties.
1. Backbeat Solutions clients include both record Companies and music publishers, from start-ups and indies to majors, with a price and a service level to suit all sizes. Offices in the UK. Their cloud based software is accessed directly over the web. For companies with no dedicated in-house royalty function Backbeat solutions can provide a complete royalty processing service.www.backbeatsolutions.co.uk (updated September 22, 2017)
2. Counterpoint Suite from Vistex is offers solutions for music publishers, production music libraries, and record labels.
- Music Maestro is a solution for administering song catalogs; from registering copyrights, licensing catalogs, processing royalties, paying clients and building global networks.
- Record Maestro is a solution for the administration of master recording data, rule setting and calculation of royalty obligations. From setting up new music products and assigning contributors, to creating dynamic artist royalty models and producing client statements.
Offices in the UK and US. www.vistex.com (updated September 22, 2017)
3. Korrect royalty software handles all aspects of music publisher royalties through its six core modules; contract manager, release manager, track manager, audit area, data loader and statement console.
Korrect Royalty Software have been managing and ingesting digital and physical data for independent music companies for over 15 years. Our comprehensive royalty management solution gives you the speed and flexibility needed to manage your recording or publishing business in the digital age, with some of our clients individually processing up to 200 million lines of data per annum in a matter of minutes.
Available as a stand-alone or hosted solution. They also offer a royalty management service. Korrect is based in the UK. www.korrectsw.com (updated 09/22/2017)
4. Royalty-Worx is designed for small independent labels and large music label groups. Pricing for smaller labels is based on a percentage of revenue. www.label-worx.com/royalty (updated 09/22/2017)
5. RoyaltyShare RPS is an online royalty software solution focused exclusively on the needs of entertainment and media companies. RoyaltyShare’s solution can include taking full responsibility for royalty processing, business process analysis or implementing new systems to improve workflow and replace outdated systems. RoyaltyShare’s web based platform supports revenue processing and master royalties for independent record labels and music distributors. Offices in the UK and US. Acquired by The Orchard in 2015. www.royaltyshare.com (updated June 1, 2016)
6. Simply Royalties is an affordable software package for music publishers. Their services include providing support to the Right Track Solutions DOS Application solutions. www.simplifiedsystemsinc.com (updated 09/22/2017)
7. Zoe Gray Consulting’s Core software is a royalty accounting and management solution for music publishers. www.zoegraye.com (updated 11/23/2013)
Startup music companies may use the general purpose EasyRoyalties software due to its comparatively low cost; prices start at $500 USD, and the support offered from offices in London and New York.